Monday, August 10, 2009

reunions...

So my 10 year high school reunion was a few weeks ago and I was so excited to go and see people I haven't seen in 10 years and catch-up... why is it these type of events are always a bit of a let down? Have I just completely romanticized my high school experience? I loved high school. It was so fun! I mean, picture this: a time in your life with no real worries. No financial obligations, romantic involvement is so minimal... seriously. My biggest worry was whether or not I was going to be asked to the boy choice dance that month and if not, what my excuse could be (I'm going to be out of town, Oh I didn't want to be asked!). Now just because I look back fondly of my high school days does not mean I still wish I were there or would ever wish to do it again. HEAVENS no! Glad it came and went. But I guess I still picture people the same now as they were then. I am glad I got to see those who came. The cliques seemed to come right back, it was hysterical! I'm glad I got to talk with people I haven't seen or even heard about for the last 10 years. It was a bitter sweet experience. People have done a lot in 10 years. They've gotten married; gotten divorced; they have been widowed; they've never married; they have had children; they've gone to school, are still going to school , and will continue to be going to school for the next 10 years! And way too many have passed away due to abuse, addictions and accidents. Anyway, for my YW lesson last week it was on dating so I dug up some old high school dance pictures and remembered the people in them as the same fun, silly and light hearted kids they were back then.
If only life could be still be so simple!
The best part of the reunion was NOT the reunion! It was a little get together I had with some of my very best girl friends. I hate we took this picture after Coral left, so we're missing one, but this was a great couple of hours! I could spend DAYS talking with these girls!!
I LOVE THEM!

The good old SFHS dance pictures. My kids have been looking through them, picking me out (which sometimes they can't!!) and telling me, "That kid looks funny!"

The memories come flooding back: Why would I ever want to forget the shorty shorts in this picture? Tell me that!


The ridiculous dress up dances...(Marin cannot understand why we would dress up as elderly people. To her, you dress up as a princess, a dragon, a fairy. It is so confusing to her! )

And just the fun ones...


It was fun seeing everyone at the reunion. I'm glad they made us wear name tags!! And I'm glad Zach Fife finally apologized for telling me I looked old... 6 years ago! :)

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my Christa! I haven't looked at some of these pictures in years. Thanks for posting, brought back tons of memories!!

Shaun and Coral Hanson said...

Oh how fun to see those pictures and be reminded of everyone from high school. Everyone looks so young! Crazy how time flies. I'm sad I missed the picture too! You'll have to send me an email about the reunion it would be fun to hear about the people you saw and what they are doing these days, so when you get a chance in your busy life! It was so much fun to see you too and I wish we could do our get togethers more often but I am glad that we do them at least once a year or twice when we're lucky! Okay this comment is long enough now.

Misti said...

SOOOO funny! Did you ever go on a date with less than 100 couples??? Holy crap! Gotta love high school!

"M" Clan said...

Hilarious! So fun that you found your old pictures, your smile is unmistakable! I figure... I've caught up with everyone I care about through blogging and FB, why go to a reunion :)

Abbie said...

How fun!! You are such a cute blogger. PS LOVE your new house, let me know how much you get out of that chandelleir!!

Abbie said...

Good job on the race today!!! You guys are sooooo fast..